Monday 7 October 2013

Phenomenology. (continued)

"I wonder if design can influence how you interpret space by evoking a specific sensory experience, or ultimately is it the programming that effects a spaces perception."

To answer my own question, I do believe that program is always going to have an intense impact on how a building is perceived, as they require spaces that are specific to their use and function. Yet it is the experiential qualities of the space that make an impression and influence your desire to go back or stay away.

Let’s explore the effect that design has on our perception of space.



HOME



The atmosphere in each image is different as a result of the design. Factors such as air quality, lighting, and temperature are unique to each space and will change how you feel in the space and will affect your experience.  Yet all three spaces are going to relay to the occupant the same feelings of relaxation, relief, respite, comfort, and home; it’s our perception of these feelings that change depending on our pre-conceived notion of what is comfortable. So is this the influence of design or of classical conditioning?

Classical conditioning
Coon explains that “classical conditioning is based on what happens before we respond. It begins with a stimulus that reliably triggers a response.”[1] In essence classical conditioning is a type of learning that can stem from an array of different stimuli; prior learning which is attributed to prior experience, associative learning which draws us to make judgements on association with other stimuli; cognitive learning which involves thinking, understanding and anticipation; and reinforcement meaning an event that increases prospect that a specific response will occur and antecedents where an event precedes a reaction. Classical conditioning can affect our pre-conceived notion of a space, or influence our behavioural response to a spatial condition. This theory can be put into the context of people’s fear of dark spaces, even when there is no known imminent danger.[2]



CHURCH

Church of Light by Tadao Ando
Osaka, Japan

Source: http://www.milamoo.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/church-of-the-light-osaka-japan.jpg

Notre Dame du Haut by Le Corbusier
Ronchamp, France

Source :https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT6xapSKdeFMbjPYRGV-OvUroXgrHJdUk58tQvbbGQvJ3eVYyffWA

Notre Dame Cathedral
Paris, Franc
e
Source: Image taken by author

St Stephen's Cathedral
Vienna, Austria

Source: Image taken by author


Chariton Church
Lucas County, Iowa

Source: https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjpopdOrlt5Z5MJDTBdpSKZizeVL0rSir1fkwAWIFejls80CcAHQjykO0Kix0lrRdHuIuvbYUdvLhEnxCshASWGCY2NAPPndPLe0sSTnxcb8AFP8rIUm88yUZw_KOKb_cgpvMKKVEv5-KJi/s1600/Presbyterian+Interior+003+Blog+version.jpg

The first two images, the Church of Light and the Notre Dame du Haut both use the design of light to relay to the observer a sense of awe. Both churches use similar design techniques to have an impact on the ambiance of the space.

Both of the cathedrals’ shown above use height to express the significance of ‘GOD’. Their ornate detailing and embellishments imply the power of the church, as church and state were one in the same in the time of the churches construction. However, coloured led lighting is a key feature in St Stephen’s Cathedral, and changes the impact of the lighting affecting the way you feel in the space.

In contrast to the other images the final image is of a simple church. In essence the space is still used for the same purpose; to convey the message of the Lord. Yet the atmosphere in this space is dull and lacking impact compared to the other examples. I believe that this is due to the lack of design in the space. There are no elements to draw upon the senses which in a spiritual environment are key components to the overall experience of the space.

SCHOOL

Traditional classroom 
Source: https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgMCruly6HvH5ZgZjYoB8RWAx4YloJf6Tf4euLAL_w9SH9ftxQ8qYBHUHDm-9TJE8h1BSlqYQYiu5POcEoWp1oRctlT0j1kJVywWRTh5PhSR2rs7BzAoNiWRZrtjnx2TAZQTsdkhBG13Go/s1600/hist_us_20_civil_rights_pic_black_school_classroom.jpg
Open plan school
Source: http://designbuildsource.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Ravenswood-School-library.jpg
School design is moving away from traditional methods of closed classrooms to an open plan model. Because of this students have a choice in the types of spaces they can work in to accommodate their own individual learning styles. This type of design has shown an increase in students willingness to learn as a result in feeling a sense of ownership and pride in their learning space. Does phenomenology have a place in school design. I would believe so. 

Which space would you feel more comfortable learning in?




[1] Coon, D 2001, ‘Chapter 7- Conditioning and Learning’ in Introduction to Psychology: gateways to mind and behaviour, Wadsworth/Thompson Learning, Belmont, CA. pp. 218-250.
[2] Tziortzis, E. (2013) 'Annotated Bibliography' Adelaide, S.A



4 comments:

  1. I would feel most comfortable in a open space design. It certainly has its benefits in education and student learning. However, I think it is important to acknowledge the benefit of offering students some structure from time to time, cater for all learning styles by changing it up. The 'old school' classroom set up is appropriate for some teaching and learning experiences such as independent tasks (i.e. tests, independent reflections). Especially as university exams are still administered in this way, prepare children the best we can for all life experiences. I believe the best learning environments have the space and potential to evolve, adapt and change into many different setups and forms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eleni, this is very interesting. I've never thought of spaces like this before, and now that I'm reflecting back it all makes sense. I think we take our spaces for granted and don't always realise why we like being in some places more than others. But now I do.
    To answer your question, personally I think I would prefer to work in a structured 'old school' classroom. I think I would be distracted and off task in an open space environment. After reading your post, I realise that the reason I feel this way is because, yes I am pre-conditioned to think of learning in only one way. I finished school over 30 years ago and my school environment did not offer any open plan learning, so hence I'm not open to the idea. But as my child is currently going through school, I can understand the purpose of this way of thinking, however with reservations. Again it comes down to me being conditioned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that the ideal learning environment for myself would be the open space plan. i believe that this would be beneficial for me, as i find that i concentrate more if i am in a more comfortable and laid back environment. However, in an open area environment there are a lot more distractions, therefore you find yourself procrastinating. At the end of the day, i think that both environments are beneficial, and it comes down to motivation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its a tricky subject, there are definantly benefits to both class room styles, and it is really dependant on each students ability to learn in particular setup. Personally I do find that it depends on the task that I am undertaking as to how I like to study. If I'm writing an essay and need 100% concentration I need to be in absolute silence, even a person sniffling their nose or clearing their through can put me off. Where as for any other task I like a more relaxed environment, if the task permits I like studying in bed, on the carpet or on beanbag (often for research), with the TV on (as long as its something I've seen before, so I don't get too distracted).
    When I feel confined to a desk, surrounded by four walls with poor atmospheric qualities, I just am not interested. Learning isn't so bad when it doesn't feel like learning. Like this blog I guess. I'm enjoying it so much I'm not so keen to stop.
    Finding a way to make learning fun, this is what schools should incorporate. Integrated learning for one; if you change the way schools are designed you can change the way we learn.

    ReplyDelete